Thursday, January 10, 2008

Expectations

I was talking with Miller today about relationships and he believes my biggest problem is that I expect up front. What I want from you in 2 months is no different than 2 years. I'm very up front with what I want and what is and is not of interest to me. Apparently, this is something that men like to be eased into. They want you to expect and ask for nothing until about six months (according to Miller)...at which point you can then settle into the relationship and bring up these things.
I don 't like that! To me, that's like hiding who you are and what you're going to expect until later in the relationship. Why hide stuff? Why wait? That doesn't seem right to me. If someone I'm with wasn't expecting anything from me and then gradually started to, I'd have a fear of the slipper slope. However, if they are up front from the beginning - that's entirely different.