Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Rethinking Relationships

Do you realize that you are the one giving my words on this screen meaning?

It's amazing and hard to even grasp. But stop and think about this - without those loyal readers out there, my words would go unread and unheard. This blog would be without purpose and meaning, it would be a cavern essentially. You give it meaning.

This works for thoughts too. Without the open expression of my (or yours for that matter) feelings, they don't exist in the real world and they become artificial. In saying them to your friends, family and significant others you are creating something real and meaningful. By taking the chance to ask others to listen and hear you out, you are creating a new (for lack of a better word) "something" in the world, something that did not exist before you brought it forth. AMAZING!

I track how many people read my blog each day and which states they live in. It's not so much the which state thing that matters, it's the how many people are out there, reading what I write and giving my words meaning. To you, my loyal readership - Thank you! This simple gesture of logging on, one you may feel you get something from, gives me something too.


I've been thinking a lot about friendships and relationships in my life lately. I have some great people who surround me and few (yet there are some) less than great individuals. I am grateful beyond words for those in my life who give.

Through some new ideas and suggestions about relationship building I'm going to be experimenting with some new techniques. Primarily, techniques focused on anger and negative feelings. Although odds are you aren't going to actually be the target of these experiments - I want to thank you in advance for your help and support. The individuals in my life at present all have one thing in common - they are all tellers of truth. I have a set of values and morals that I've been thinking about a lot lately, and the word integrity keeps coming up.

What does that word mean? Integrity? To me, one of the key elements of this is truth. Truth can only be established in something that is real and therefore your ability to express yourself is key.


An Ode to Those Who Are Far Better than I:
The Beaver - Thank you for always expressing yourself, for good or bad. When I make you angry, you tell me and we deal with it head on. This makes you one of the strongest men in my life. You never waiver in your understanding of truth and you bring to your life and the lives you encounter a remarkable degree of integrity.
Alena - Thank you for your heart. You have more to give than anyone I have ever met. You are my inspiration when it comes to love and living life to the fullest. You have such a strong understanding of yourself, unlike any one I've ever encountered. You are unique and amazing! Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.
Melanie - Thank you for always connecting. When I'm scared or alone in the world, I know that you are just a ring away and you will listen to me and you will not judge but will provide constructive criticism. Your understanding of the difference between judgement and helpful communication is an advantage to all close to you.
Christian - Thank you for being my open book. You have such a strong character and an amazing mind. Your openness and ability to share always, regardless of context, situation or fear is beyond words. I hold your openness up to others and even myself and laugh, you are truly one of a kind. May you never see this waiver.
Brandon- Thank you for never expecting of me. The pressure we put on ourselves is plenty enough and you know this better than anyone. You never have expected anything from me. As you say, "I owe you nothing." Thank you for adding this sensibility and promise to my life. Thank you for adapting to whoever I decide to be at any given moment.
Shannon - Thank you for trusting me. I often don't trust myself and you have let me in on some very secret thing over the years. You now share your life with me across the ocean and any time I see you've logged into this blog, I feel so lucky to have your friendship.