Friday, January 25, 2008

Tested

My new way of thinking about myself and those around me was tested today.

During lunch I got in a disagreement with a co-worker about a news story. This specific individual HATES when others disagree with his opinion. Instead of addressing the issue like an adult and talking towards a resolution, he pouts and name calls. This time though, I was ready. Instead of taking anything he said to heart, I let it go right through me.
I asked myself, do I really believe what I just put out there as my opinion? (Answer - Yes!)
Did I hear his? (Answer - Yes!)
We disagree...do I care? (Answer - No!) Then move on and let it go.

In the past, the name calling and such would have bothered me to the core. I would have questioned my own opinion and asked others if they agreed or not to see if maybe I really was in the wrong. Instead, I've decided that I stand firm, I'm allowed my own opinion and his behavior is what is unjustified and doesn't deserve my anxiety or thoughts.

This entire encounter made me realize that maybe this isn't someone who is even remotely trustworthy. This individual clearly can't handle conflict and as a result, isn't really someone I want in my life. I'll continue to work with this person, but I will set up a boundary and not allow this individual anything more than to be an acquaintance.